City of Saginaw MI -
WINTER SAFETY TIPS FOR HEATING YOUR RESIDENCE
In light of many parts of the country continuing to be in the deep freeze, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has issued a renewed warning about the fire dangers associated with heating equipment, saying the improper use of heating equipment is the leading cause of home fire deaths. Statistics shows 49% of home heating equipment fires occur in December, January and February. Heating equipment was involved in 56,000 reported home structure fires.
NFPA offers several tips you can follow to ensure a safe winter this year.
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment like furnace, wood stoves and space heaters.
- Never use your oven or stove top to heat your home.
- Remember to turn portable heaters off before leaving home and going to bed.
- Use fuel powered generators outside the home including garage.
- Protect your pipes. Run water at a trickle at times to help prevent freezing.
- Never use blowtorch or fire to thaw frozen pipes.
- Never leave candles burning unattended.
- Install and maintain smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, test monthly.
- Wear dry clothing in layers, gloves and hats.
- Don't forget pets and their need for warmth and protection from the elements, bring them indoors.
The Saginaw Fire Department would like to remind residents to be mindful of potential hazards when heating their residence. If you have any questions or are unsure if something is a safety risk, then please call the Fire Prevention Division at (989) 759-1393.
Subscribe to our Email Newsletter Today
POLICE CRIME MAPPING:
The City of Saginaw PD has new crime mapping software available. Click the link below to access an interactive Crime map of the City.
SGTV LIVE STREAM:
FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) rules have changed. To see how the City of Saginaw is now handling FOIA requests, please visit our new FOIA page.
For information about what's happening with the Saginaw police, click the link below.Police News
ROAD CONSTRUCTION:- STANLEY ST. ROAD CLOSURE BETWEEN GROUT AND MAPLE
- S. HAMILTON ST. ROAD CLOSURE BETWEEN FLORENCE AND STEWART