City of Saginaw MI -
Personal Property Taxes FAQ
- Q.What is personal property?
- A.Personal Property is the tangible, physical assets of a business. Personal Property should not be confused with real property (land & buildings).
- Q.What are some examples of personal property?
- A.Personal Property consists of many items. A few of those would be: furniture, fixtures, machinery, equipment, office equipment, computer equipment and signs. Contact the Assessor's Office if you have questions whether an item qualifies as personal property.
- Q.Where and how often do i have to file a personal property statement?
- A.Personal Property statements are filed each year with the jurisdiction that the personal property was located in on December 31st. Personal property is valued at market (truecash) value and assessed at 50% thereof. Personal Property statements are mailed the first week of January and must be completed, signed and returned by February 20th. If a personal property statement is not returned by the February 20th deadline, by law, the Assessor is required to estimate an assessed value.
- Q.Who says i have to file a personal property statement?
- A.The Michigan Constitution provides for assessment of all real and personal property not exempted by law.
- Q.What type of information do i include on the personal property statement?
- A.The total original installed costs for each item of personal property by the year of purchase.
Subscribe to our Email Newsletter Today
Enhanced Law Enforcement Response to Victims Initiative:
The Saginaw Police Department is one of only three law enforcement agencies in the country that has been selected to participate in a unique program designed to help reduce crime, support victims, and enhance public safety. We ask that the residents of Saginaw participate in this anonymous survey being conducted by Saginaw Valley State University. Your participation will help the City of Saginaw Police Department expand its capacity to meet the needs of crime victims, and broaden those services where a need is indicated. This short survey is available online at the following button:
How to pre apply for a water utility account:
Pre application instructions can be found here:Water Billing
SGTV LIVE STREAM:
Learn more about MMWA 1 step recycling :watch the new 1 step recycling video on youtube now
FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) rules have changed. To see how the City of Saginaw is now handling FOIA requests, please visit our new FOIA page.
ROAD CONSTRUCTION:- N. MICHIGAN AVE. LANE CLOSURE BETWEEN CLARK AND OAK